RAC and Inrix analysis has suggested this Bank Holiday weekend (May 27, 28 and 29) will be the busiest on the road for leisure journeys – an estimated 3.3m trips are to be made each of the days.
Unsurprisingly, Friday 26 is predicted to be the busiest for congestion, with a mix of 3m holiday makers and those at work on the road.
So, it goes without saying, take extra caution if driving this weekend. A few simple things to consider:
- Plan your journey – give yourself plenty of time
- Check your vehicle – tyre pressure, water levels, windscreen wipers, lights
- Make sure you have plenty of fuel, or a full battery charge – make note of fuel/charge stops on your route
- Bring water, and food, in case you are caught up in traffic
- Using a satellite navigation device can help with re-routing or warnings of congestion on a planned route – bring a car phone charger!
- Keep your distance from other road users
- Consider whether your journey is necessary